Privacy Policy / Terms of Use / Code of Conduct / Consumer Guide / MARN 0741639                              © 2019 by FastVisa Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.

Other Visas

The Australian immigration system has more than 100 different visa types! Below is a description of the most common visa type not already discussed on this website.

Temporary Activity Visa - 408 

The temporary activity visa (subclass 408) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to undertake one of the following activities:

  • Entertainer: to work in the entertainment industry in film, television or live productions in either a performance or behind-the-scenes role, such as directing, producing and other production roles.

  • Invited participant: for people who are invited for stays up to 3 months by an organisation operating in Australia to participate in a specific cultural or social event or events. For example, conferences, sporting, religious and other community events.

  • Researcher:

    • to participate or observe in an Australian research project after being invited to do so.

    • to undertake a research activity at an Australian tertiary or research institution related to your field of study.

  • Religious worker: to be a full-time religious worker, serving the religious objectives of a religious institution in Australia.

  • Special program: to participate in an approved special program that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits.

  • Sport:

    • play, coach or instruct or adjudicate under contract to an Australian sporting club or organisation

    • participate in a high-level sports training program

  • Exchange: to work in a skilled position under a reciprocal staff exchange arrangement to:

    • give participants an opportunity to experience another culture

    • enhance international relations

    • broaden participants’ experience and knowledge.

  • Superyacht crew: to be employed as a superyacht crew member onboard a superyacht in Australia.

  • Domestic worker (executive): to work full time in the household of certain senior foreign executives.

  • Australian Government endorsed event: to participate in a government-endorsed major event.

This visa requires sponsorship if:

  • you intend to stay in Australia for more than 3 months

  • you apply in Australia.

Training Visa - 407 

The Training visa (subclass 407) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development.

Types of occupational training

There are three types of occupational training (nomination eligibility types) covered by this visa:

Working Holiday Visas (Subclass 417 and 462)

If you're aged between 18 and 30, and come from a country with a reciprocal arrangement with Australia, the 'Working Holiday' (417) visa or the 'Work and Holiday' (462) visa allow you to live and work in Australia for up to 12 months. Your visa can be renewed for another 12 months if certain conditions are met.  

What can you do?

This visa allows you to:

  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months

  • work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer

  • study for up to four months

  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid

  • apply for a second Work and Holiday visa if you have worked for three months in northern Australia in tourism and hospitality or agriculture, forestry and fishing. 

Resident Return Visa - Subclasses 155 and 157

The Resident Return visa is for current or former Australian permanent residents who want to travel overseas and return to Australia as permanent residents. This visa will let you keep or regain your status as an Australian permanent resident.

Do you need a Resident Return Visa?

If you are the holder of a permanent residency visa for Australia, you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely. However, your visa is only valid as a means of entry into the country for the first five years since your visa grant date.

If you would like to travel outside of Australia after, or towards the end of, the initial five year period, you will require a Resident Return Visa (RRV).

Any family members who will also be travelling outside of Australia will also require their own RRV and separate applications must be made for each person.

If you were formerly an Australian permanent resident and your visa has expired, you will require an RRV to re-enter Australia.

If you were formerly an Australian citizen and you either lost or renounced your citizenship, you will also require an RRV.


Getting Started

The first step to start your visa application with FastVisa is to CONTACT US. One of our immigration experts will review your individual circumstances, guide you through the visa options available and clarify all your doubts. 


The information provided here should be used as a guide only. It is not intended to be comprehensive nor does it constitute legal or other professional advice. We attempt to ensure that the content is current but we do not guarantee its currency. You should seek legal or other professional advice before acting or relying on any of the content.

If you believe that a particular visa is appropriate for your circumstances, contact us for a complete and thorough assessment of your situation and visa eligibility. 

*Source: Australian Department of Home Affairs